Be strong

The sequences in both classes progressed in skill level this week; I was struck by the big jump in difficulty making me realize that the dancers were progressing in skill level. Alice and Robert would not add onto the sequences to this extent if the movement sequences were not already at the required standard.

In the sequence which applies the ‘bunny’ and ‘donkey’ movements I could see a strong development because most of the class were now holding the upside down movement meaning they had found their centre of gravity and built some strength in their muscles to hold this position.

I observed that strength is very important within both Release technique and Cunningham technique studied this year because in Release technique there is a lot of physically demanding movements whereas in Cunningham technique the strength is through stamina as his sequences are very long meaning the muscles become tired. This might also be because Cunningham technique is performed upright with a classical body design whereas Release requires floor bound work.

This image shows the class working on their sequence named the ‘thigh’ killer and their progression of strength through stamina in the legs in this sequence has came on so much I can see this because they can now get to the end of the sequence with more ease and efficiency.

10575914_10152455846982098_722558266_n